Mar 2, 2011

Please, do understand...

Is it more important to be known or to be understood?
Is there a difference?

According to my friend Ray the number one need for a thinker is to be understood.
I'm a thinker. My number one need is.. to be understood.

Now, define "understood".
What does it mean for me?

Can you be understood without being known?

Lots of people know some stuff about me.
Some people know lots of stuff about me. They know "facts". They know the things I'm going through. And sometimes they understand some of what I'm going through. I'm thankful for that.

And still, there is a deeper understanding that I so rarely experience. It's something that goes so down deep that it's even hard to explain. It is an understanding that goes beyond knowledge of facts. Some understand me so deeply without even knowing stuff about me. It's like they are already a part of me, and I'm a part of them. Like we are made of the same dough. And nothing, not circumstances, not distance, not different life choices, nothing - can ever change that.

I said I rarely experience it, but I do experience it. I have those kinds of connections in my life. It's a blessing. Sometimes also a little bit of a curse, because everything else pales in comparison.
Mostly a blessing, though.

I can be understood without being known.
Knowledge is just gravy in those cases.
:)

3 comments:

Sheila said...

It's been a long while since we had a good talk, so I wouldn't begin to say I understand you or where you are right now.

But I sure do understand what you've written here, that yearning to be understood and the rare blessing it is when it happens.

I do know I care about you....

Anonymous said...

i have been reading lately about energy. those people that tuly understand/know you are your spiritual siblings, possibly from a non-biological family group that existed before we were in bodies.

possibly.

~colleen

Nat said...

I love the idea of spiritual siblings! :)